The historical centre of Cattolica revolves around via Cattaneo and via Pascoli, and is identifiable with that part of town that was built corresponding to the ancient "castrum" of the 1200s.
Around this nucleus, placed along the axis of via Flaminia, was the inhabited centre, which already in the XVI century included inns, "hotels with signs" and an important horse coral.
The most relevant architectural and historical elements of "old Cattolica" are characterized by the Malatesta fortress (1491), the Church of Sant'Apollinare, the former Pilgrim Hospital (now the Regina Museum) with the annexed Oratory of Santa Croce (XVI century), the numerous underground tunnels and the Church of Saint Pio.
Via Pascoli and markets
There are numerous tourist events and street markets which alternate throughout the summer in via Pascoli, an avenue which even today maintains the flavour of the most ancient history of Cattolica.
At the junction of via Pascoli and via Bruno the quaint Piazza della Gina opens up, this was where one would come from the beach in the old days and it was also the road where goods were off-loaded, and was and is overlooked by an inn which shares the same name as the square, as well as a public fountain.
In the summer evenings this historical square, becomes the stage for some of the most interesting and artistic exhibitions in the town of Cattolica.
Square of Gina
Piazza Gina, in fact surprises its visitors with the number and variety of shows that are presented each week. On one hand, amusing puppet shows attract and entertain children of every age and on the other hand folkloristic, lyrical and jazz concerts please an ever more demanding and refined audience.
Spending an evening in the shade of the ancient city walls has never been more pleasant!