The history of San Leo
is located in Val Marecchia in the middle of the Montefeltro, in
the province of Pesaro and Urbino. Standing on top of a mighty rock boulder, which can be accessed through a single road cut into the
rock from which you can admire an enchanting view. This small area was a hill sacred to the gods, when he reached the Saint Leo the
3rd century, by those deemed ideal for the spread of Christianity, then expanding throughout the region. An atmosphere of beauty,
serenity and peace is what Saint Leo offers tourists, in a setting of history and art of the most beautiful in Italy.
The fortress prison of Cagliostro
The Fortress of San Leo in those days was a safe place where they can escape during the battles. Was disputed by the people of the
Lombards, Byzantines, and Franks, then in 1441 was conquered by the Duke of Urbino Federico III da Montefeltro, who had it restored
with the help of Francesco di Giorgio Martini, the fortress at San Leo allowed to become one of the squares strongest of Italy where
we find inside the museum which displays a collection of antique weapons. Today San Leo has an interesting tourist destination, which
is closely linked to the Adriatic Coast, between the various places to visit are the Church, the oldest basilica of Montefeltro,
divided by columns and pillars forming seven arches on each side. The majestic Duomo built as tradition, on the ruins of a Roman
temple, and several buildings such as Palazzo Medici, Palazzo della Rovere and Palazzo Nardini.