On the border between Romagna and the Marche, on the line that separates the valley of the Conca valley of Foglia,
there is one of the best preserved medieval castles of Rimini: Montegridolfo. The name originates from the family
of Gridolfo, riminesi nobles who ruled this country in the thirteenth century. Montegridolfo surrounded by hills
which dominate the coast of Romagna, but the real beauty of this place remains the castle. The castle is accessed
via a door-shaped arch, topped by the clock tower, which introduces the entrance of a village, enclosed by high walls.
The castle was once disputed between the family of the Malatesta and Montefeltro. After several clashes in the city
Montegridolfo right into the hands of the Malatesta who had mastery up to 1500.
Places to visit
This small country surrounded by high walls, where inside there are narrow streets overlooked by the main buildings,
churches and palaces. The Town Hall is located next to the clock tower, while building Viviani, the ancient residence
of the lords of the castle, now a prestigious hotel and restaurant that stands on the ruins of the fortress. At the
foot of the walls of the castle is the small church of S. Rocco, built in 1427, once a place of ospitalit for
pilgrims. The building houses a beautiful religious painting of the Madonna and Child adored by Saints: Rocco,
Giacinto and Sebastian, the work attributed to the artist Guido Cagnacci. Towards the valley meets the ancient church
of S. Peter, who keeps a beautiful fresco of the fifteenth century. In Trebbio location, not far from the city center,
lies the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Grace (1548) pilgrimage from the nearby Romagna and Marche. Finally, the Museum of
the Gothic line, which houses objects, photographs and testimonies of the Second World War.